We want to be the last collective push that sets your idea or project in motion. We are fully inclusive and want to hear stories that reflect the diverse societies that comprise Australia and the world we live in. We are interested in all theatrical forms (ie plays, musicals, cabaret, storytelling) and in supporting emerging and mid-career artists. Please note, remounts of pre-existing productions will not be considered for selection without significant artistic reasoning. We support independent theatre makers and the independent theatre sector, we are here to support you in the creation of your art, and in building and sustaining a career.
1. All applicants must be over the age of 18.
2. All applicants must have read and understood the submission guidelines on the application form and be available to work on individual projects and the broader festival program from August - December, 2016. This involves being based in Melbourne for the full period. Applicants must also be available for the Stage Two 'Live Pitch Day' in order for the submission to be evaluated in this round.
3. Poppy Seed is seeking submissions from artists (individuals and collectives) who operate without operational funding on a project by project basis. This does not exclude artists who regularly work within established organisations, however we will not be considering submissions that are part of the program of established organisations or fall within the artistic scope of such organisations.
4. Poppy Seed is seeking submissions for theatre projects. We have not set parameters with respect to form or content other than this descriptor: work may be devised, text based or multi-disciplinary. It may be existing or new work. The only criteria is excellence and viability of the project, as determined by the Artistic Panel.
5. Poppy Seed is not able to program collectives whose submissions have been successful in previous years.
6. Applicants who wish to remount a pre-existing work must state clearly the artistic rationale for resurrecting the production, and outline in detail the changes (if any) that they wish to incorporate.
7. Poppy Seed will not consider applications from productions that are currently touring or wish to incorporate the festival as part of a pre-existing tour.
1. Meeting submission guidelines and requirements
Submissions should meet the published eligibility requirements and guidelines for the Poppy Seed Festival. Incomplete or late submissions will not be considered. Please note: submissions must list ONE contact person.
2. Artistic merit of the script and/or concept
Submissions should articulate the artistic merit of the writing/ dramatic concept, a strong artistic vision and a compelling rationale for why the project needs to be realised. Please note, Poppy Seed Festival is looking to include a vibrant and diverse selection of works in the final program. If you are submitting a project to remount, you must clearly state why you think the project needs to be remounted and what changes will be made to the production.
3. Artistic vision / strength of creative team
Applicants must demonstrate a clear and coherent artistic vision for the project. Submissions should provide details of the creative team involved and how they will realise the artistic and aesthetic vision for the project.
4. Viability of the project
Submissions must articulate how the project will be realised within the Poppy Seed Festival time-frame. Submissions should also provide detail on how resources (financial, marketing, production support and theatrical spaces) secured via the Poppy Seed Festival will be utilised and what additional resources will be secured to meet projected production costs. Applications that include time-lines and marketing plans will be prioritised.
To apply to be a part of the Poppy Seed Theatre Festival 2017 please complete the online form below. We recommend reading the Information for Applicants document prior to completing the online form.
Applicants must also include a budget (and explanatory budget notes) using the template provided.
All supporting documents must be supplied as a web link to either a Google Drive, Dropbox or other online file storage software that does not require a password to access.
Once you have completed your application, you will receive an email from Mail Chimp asking you to confirm that you wish to sign up to a mailing list called 'Poppy Seed Theatre Festival applicants 2017'. Please confirm your subscription to this list as this is how we will contact you with regards to the progress of your application.
Please note you are not able to save your progress in the online application form. We highly recommend completing the Practice Form and pasting the text to the online form.
Should you have any questions regarding the application process please contact Poppy Seed at firstname.lastname@example.org